Follow Gary and Monika Wescott as they travel in Tajikistan in July 2014 along the Silk Road on their quest to reach the Pacific Ocean.
The Tunnel of Death, Tajikistan
Visibility reduced almost to zero thanks to large sections with no lighting. Useless headlights which fail to penetrate the fumes. Carbon monoxide accumulation which has already claimed the lives of people delayed in the tunnel. All vehicles must have windows up and airflow on recycle. Potholes which seriously challenged ex-military trucks in permanent 4WD. Exposed reinforcing bars in the remaining concrete road surface had punctured the tires of 2 trucks whose drivers were changing them in the tunnel. Along the length of a mid-tunnel section there are holes as deep as 1.5 meters which are full of water. No roadworks signs and no traffic controls in this single-lane section or anywhere else.
Sounds like fun huh?
- Tajikistan #2 – Iskandar Lake & Tunnel of Death
- Tajikistan #3
- Tajikistan #4 – Following the Afghan Border
- Tajikistan #5 – Arriving in Khorog
- Tajikistan #6 – Wakhan Corridor
- Tajikistan #7 – Pamir Mountains
- Tajikistan # 8 – Along the Pamir Highway 1
- Tajikistan # 9 – Along the Pamir Hwy 2
This page was last updated on 2017.10.18