Some things to do and make sure is working and up to date at the beginning of the backpacking season and periodically thereafter.
- Pre-Soak Your Water Filter
- If your water filter has dried out in storage over the winter, or it’s brand new, soak it in water overnight to saturate the fibers so that water can flow through it freely.
- Update Navigation Apps and Maps
- Inspect and replace water bottles, reservoirs, hoses, and bite valves
- Inspect and replenish your fire-starting kit
- Donate, give away, or sell backpacking gear you’re not using it
More tips at the Section Hiker »
This page was last updated on 2023.08.21