Video » The Winner’s Curse » Why can’t Formula E drivers win back-to-back races?

Formula E via YouTube »

Some people call Formula E the most unpredictable sport on the planet – and with good reason! Over the past eight races there has been eight different winners. But something strange has occurred after most of the victories, with the winner tending to struggle in the next race, and nobody winning back-to-back races since season 4. Is there a curse? Are voodoo dolls being made of our drivers? Or is there a more logical explanation?

Nissan appoints Tommaso Volpe as its new global motorsports director

Tommaso Volpe

Tommaso Volpe

Nissan News Release »

Tommaso Volpe, currently director of global motorsports and performance projects at INFINITI Motor Company Ltd., has been appointed Nissan global motorsports director effective April 1.

Volpe will oversee Nissan’s Formula E, Super GT, Prototype and global GT3 racing activities. He succeeds Michael Carcamo, who has led Nissan’s motorsports program since 2015, including its Formula E debut in 2018.

[…]

“Nissan and NISMO will continue to compete this year with Formula E and the new Nissan GT-R NISMO GT500 as the two main pillars of our works and customer racing programs. And of course, INFINITI will again pursue its global activation program.”

Pierre Loing, Nissan’s division general manager of global product marketing and motorsports, said: “Michael has been instrumental in developing the Formula E program for Nissan, and we thank him for his drive and dedication, as well as helping promote Nissan’s leadership in electric vehicles.

“Tommaso brings a wealth of motorsports and marketing experience to this role.”

More » Autosport

ABB FIA Formula E Championship officially temporarily suspended for a two-month period due to Coronavirus

It is the right thing to do.

Formula E statement »

13 Mar 20 – The decision, made in coordination with the relevant local authorities to temporarily freeze races held in highly-populated cities, was taken as the most responsible course of action, due to the continued spread of coronavirus and the World Health Organisation officially declaring COVID-19 a pandemic.

With the well-being of staff, spectators and the entire championship workforce being the number one priority, precautionary measures put in place will restrict races from running during a set timeframe.

The series is implementing a flag system traditionally used in motorsport, to determine different phases and time windows where races could be rearranged or remain unaffected. Red representing no races, yellow keeping the opportunity open and green going ahead as planned.

Months marked as red flags are March and April, with May currently categorised as a yellow flag and both June and July given the green flag, should the situation improve and stabilise.

As a consequence of the suspension, it will no longer be possible to race in Paris and Seoul, or Jakarta as previously announced on the originally scheduled dates.

Working in collaboration with the FIA and local authorities in each event location, Formula E will closely monitor the situation and evaluate options to organise and reschedule races following the temporary suspension.

“Right now is the time to take responsible actions and this is why we have decided to temporarily suspend the season and move forward with introducing measures to freeze races from taking place over the next two months,” said Alejandro Agag, Founder & Chairman of Formula E.

“Motorsport plays a major part in our lives and it is important, but what is more important is the health and safety of our staff, fans and their families, as well as citizens in the cities we race.

“The ABB FIA Formula E Championship will be back in full force, once the ongoing health crisis and spread of COVID- 19 has subsided,” Agag added.

» Related » Formula E is suspending the remainder of Season 6 for two months due to Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic

Formula E is suspending the remainder of Season 6 for two months due to Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic

Charles Bradley, Autosport »

Formula E will suspend its current racing season for the next two months due to the global health threat of the coronavirus, Autosport has learned.

Although an official announcement is not expected until after this weekend’s 2020 Formula 1 season-opener in Australia, it is understood that the World Health Organisation’s declaration of a pandemic, due to the spread of the COVID-19 virus, has been the trigger for the move.

[Updated] Formula E » 2020 Marrakesh E-Prix » Race Reports

Round 5 of the 2020 Formula E Championship took place on the streets of Marrakesh, Morocco on February 29, 2020.

Video » Race Highlights »

 

Spoiler » The streets of Marrakesh saw Antonio Felix Da Costa take his first Formula E win of the season.

Antonio Felix da Costa took the Formula E championship lead by winning the Marrakech E-Prix, as his DS Techeetah team-mate, and defending Formula E Champion, Jean-Eric Vergne scored his first podium of the season. Splitting the pair in second was Max Guenther.

This means there’s been a different winner for each of the five first races of season 6.

More » More » Autosport, Formula E

Race Results at the official FIA Formula E site »


Updated March 2, 2020

Video » Race Analysis »

Saunders Carmichael-Brown summarizes.


Updated March 7, 2020

Video » Full Race »