- Grand Canyon National Park (Arizona)
- Bryce Canyon National Park (Utah)
- Badlands National Park (South Dakota)
- 2023 Badlands Astronomy Festival from July 14 to July 16
- Shenandoah National Park (Virginia)
- Night Sky Festival from Aug. 11 to Aug. 13
- Great Basin National Park (Nevada)
- astronomy festival from Sept. 14 to Sept. 16
- Joshua Tree National Park (California)
- Night Sky Festival on Oct. 13 and 14
Explore Worldwide, an “adventure travel” agency, has put together a list of 35 of the best hikes in the world that almost anyone can do, from short jaunts you can do in less than an hour to longer, multi-day itineraries »
- Perito Moreno Glacier Trail, El Calafate, Santa Cruz, Argentina
- Aoraki/Mount Cook Loop, Canterbury, New Zealand
- Scenic Drive, Zion National Park, Springdale, Utah, USA
- Continental Divide Trail From NM 547, Grants, New Mexico, USA
- Lower Yosemite Falls Trail, Yosemite Valley, California, USA
Joni Sweet, at Forbes, ranked the top ten states for hiking in the US »
4. Washington, D.C.
5. Iowa (tied for 5th place)
5. Arizona (tied for 5th place)
7. Utah (tied for 7th place)
7. West Virginia (tied for 7th place)
7. Nevada (tied for 7th place)
10. North Carolina
The article ranked Kentucky, followed by New Hampshire at the bottom of the list.
The canyons outside Zion National Park offer incredible hiking, horseback riding, and rock climbing opportunities.
The air smelled like hot dust and cool pine trees. For a time, the canyon was soundless, except for the click-clacking of our carabiners. Unthinkably far below lay the silvery ribbon of Kolob Creek, a tributary of the Virgin River, which carved the mighty main canyon of Zion.
We paused, halfway or so along our route, to take in one of the hanging gardens, where an overhang of “weeping rock” creates a microclimate—a bright green, mossy efflorescence tucked into the side of the canyon. The occasional tree gave me pause, too: some little specimen asserting itself from the side of the rock face, flourishing against all odds.
Our route ended in a 100-foot vertical ascent that, in a mild fit of masochism, I resolved to climb without stopping. Breathless and triumphant at the top, I then followed Wright out to a terrifying overhang of rock where he encouraged me to lean back and let go.
According to Allegra Zagami, writer for Lonely Planet, on a drive along the Pan American Highway in 2019 »
» 1. Icefields Parkway, Alberta, Canada
The Icefields Parkway, or Canada’s Highway 93, is one of the most scenic drives in the world with over 144 miles (232km) of adventure and overwhelming natural beauty between Banff and Jasper National Parks.
President Trump wanted to downsize Bears Ears National Monument by 85% and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument by nearly half.
A federal judge has rejected the Trump administration’s bid to dismiss lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of a 2017 decision to downsize two sprawling national monuments in Utah.
U.S. District Court Judge Tanya Chutkan’s written decisions issued Monday night means the legal challenges seeking to return the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments to their original sizes can move forward.
America’s national parks hosted a staggering 82.8 million visits throughout it’s 59 national parks network in 2016. Which are the most popular — and perhaps which to avoid if you don’t like crowds? Here are the top ten according to the National Geographic.